March 31 will be the first time to participate in any sort of fun run, even though they’ve exploded all over the Philippines as the new hip thing yuppies are supposed to be doing for reasons like “fitness” and “charity”. If the first year of my working life was overrun by photographers and people into photography, the second year was all about these running types. (I suppose the third year is the era of Pinoy Jamba Juice-drinkers?) While I am keen on helping out, I am more of the shore-cleaning or orphanage-visiting type. Mostly because there is nothing fun for me about paying money to run, unless it’s me paying money so someone else can run for me. Forever.
Wow, I’ve totally lost the point of this post and might have possibly alienated the intended audience of this entry. Good job, me.
So, Arsenal FC is doing a global “Be A Gunner, Be A Runner” event and encouraging fans from all over to participate. There is actually no fee to run, you just have to map a 6.4-km route and then send the pics and videos to email@example.com no later than Apr 6. Arsenal will send you race numbers when you register. Unfortunately, they won’t be sending
players to help us get stretched and motivated shirts, as I initially expected. Still, you can donate money and it all goes to “Save The Children“, the chosen charity for this year.
The official Arsenal Supporters Club Philippines has set up a route covering 3x the Acad Oval in UP Diliman for all interested runners in the metro. Acad Oval is the Osmena Ave – Roxas Ave Rotonda circle, btw. The meet-up point is somewhere in the Sunken Garden at around 2pm. Run should start at 3pm, which I still highly contest because it’s going to be so hot (unless it’s raining, which is also likely). Maybe we can go earlier than our GMT counterparts. Or later. But as it’s stands, it’s 2pm meet-up and 3pm run. There might be commemorative shirts, but that’s not final yet. I’ll try to update this entry if there are any changes.
As a board member of said supporters club, I will be doing my part and– gasp!– running. Okay, so more like a combination of jogging and shuffling, and maybe a bit of rolling. I would also be donating money, but I don’t have a lot of it so maybe some charitable souls (even if you’re not Arsenal fans) would like to make my donation less embarrassing and do any of the following:
- Run with us and donate through the Arsenal Supporters Club Philippines. You’ll see your pics on Arsenal.com. Probably. But you WILL be doing a good thing. I did research and “Save The Children” is a great charity. You’ll also be meeting a lot of great people who can talk about things other than football. I think.
- Run with us, don’t donate. That’s fine too. We’ll probably black out your face from the photos though. Kidding! It will still be fun. UP Diliman is beautiful this time of the year and we can get bottomless iced teas from Choc Kiss afterwards.
- Sponsor me! Any amount would do. I promise to do some actual running! This option is for the people who know me and can meet up with me personally. For big donations from people I don’t know in real life, I can hook you up with our president because I don’t like handling tons of money that isn’t mine to spend. 😛
Here’s how to go about things if you’re interested in any of the three options above:
- Mail your name and contact info to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Tweet @ArsenalPH. Actually, direct message them so that your info’s safe.
- Leave a comment here and I’ll see what I can do.
A group from Cebu will also do the run and their route will be a double loop around Cebu Business Park. The route is plotted here. So if you live thereabouts and don’t fancy an airplane ride to Metro Manila for a few hours of running, then this is your best bet.
I hate using the “This is for a good cause!” card but I’m using it anyway. I’m also leaving an awkwardly-posed-but-still-adorable Aaron Ramsey to convince you to participate.
*All photos are from Arsenal.com